Callie's Fertility Picks

September 10, 2012

All Natural Regimen

I said before that I am going to take a more natural approach to my infertility and see if that works, but how do you decide on a natural treatment plan? How do you know what to take and what not to? What supplements should be taken and how much? Planning a more natural approach is very time consuming if you do it right. I assume, for the most part, that if you are turning to natural methods that the medical world has failed you thus far. I know we all wish there was some magic treatment we could stumble across that would fix everything and get us pregnant, but there isn't one. Yes, the natural method has worked wonders in some cases. However, just like with any treatment, it doesn't work for everyone and you have to tailor the natural treatment plan to fit you. You need to have an in depth understanding of your particular case so that you can figure out your treatment. There are different vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements for different symptoms, diseases and syndromes. You need to do tons of research and I mean real research. Don't log into a TTC chatroom and use what everyone else says to use or Google it and use whatever pops up. Just like with medicine, too much or too little of natural supplements can be dangerous. If you have access to and the funds for a naturopath or an herbalist I would recommend getting advice from them.

For my personal journey I decided to take matters into my own hands. I have spent every waking hour (literally) for the last week doing exhaustive research of the different vitamins, minerals and herbs. I only want to take what works, what I need for my symptoms specifically and the correct dosages. Just starting out, I used Google to find some general information on infertility, PCOS and treating them naturally. Once I had a starting point, I began taking each supplement and researching it's use specifically. I wanted to know what it does, how it reacts in the body, what symptoms it treats, why it works for those symptoms, general dosages and safety guidelines. I only used reputable sources, such as fertility institutes, research facilities, etc. My next step was to research each supplements use specific to infertility and PCOS. Once I had narrowed down my list to supplements that treat only what I needed it too, I researched actual studies that tested these supplements for the specific thing I wanted it to do. I don't want to use anything unless it has been scientifically proven to work. A great site to find information on studies preformed is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed. Finally, I searched for clinical trials that are currently going on or are getting ready to start to see if there is any other information I may need to be on the lookout for, or if I may want to participate. The site I use for this is http://clinicaltrials.gov/. By the time you finish this process, you should have lots of notes and a much better idea of where to start as far as supplements, minerals and herbs go. Some of the supplements I decided on are: Saw Palmetto, Cinnamon, Inositol, Licorice Root, Fish Oil, Vitex, Lipoic Acid, NAC, White Peony Tea and Spearmint Tea. I am still deciding on a multivitamin or taking separate mineral supplements because most multivitamins do not have the dosages a PCOS woman requires of certain minerals, there is too much of some and not enough of others. I am also going to be using a bioidentical progesterone cream. The bioidentical part is very important because it most mimics the progesterone that our bodies make naturally and doesn't have all the other harmful chemicals in it. If you are estrogen dominate, also make sure there are no phytoestrogens since they can increase estrogen production.


Now, please don't expect that all you have to do is take supplements and everything will work out. For a lucky few it may work that way, but not for most. You must also implement a diet and exercise program, even if you are not overweight. It has been shown that proper diet and exercise can help balance hormone levels on its own. For those that have hormone imbalance, you will need a special diet to reduce and balance your hormone levels. There are several books out there that you can buy that will help you in this department. Everyone's tastes are different and no diet and exercise plan is a one size fits all. So, please find the one that works best for you. Personally, I started trying to eat all organic when possible and choose healthier choices, such as salads, specific fruits and specific vegetables. I have cut out most of my pop to maybe one can a week, sometimes not even that. I have also cut out coffee. The only sweets I eat are the cookies my husband brings home (peanut butter with a Hershey kiss in the middle) and I may have eight of those a month. As far as exercise goes, when I am in PA I use my Xbox kinect to play fast paced games. I also stretch and do jumping jacks. I am going to start walking and jogging the two weeks I'm in WV.


Aside from all of the above, I am still charting my periods on my calendar and using my fertility monitor. I don't have a regular enough sleeping schedule to chart temps. Speaking of sleeping schedule, research information on sleep and your fertility. You need a regular sleep schedule and sleep in the dark to keep your hormones in balance as well, which could be part of my problem. If you don't sleep in the dark and have a regular sleep schedule you may have a melatonin deficiency, which I will be taking a supplement for. Again, there are risks involved with melatonin supplementation, so choose wisely what is best for your situation. It is also extremely important that you stop smoking as smoking can increase testosterone levels.

Right now I am waiting for my next period to begin so that I can start my new natural regimen. As far as I can tell and from what my fertility monitor says, I did not ovulate this month. Although it feels like another wasted month and wasted effort every time I don't ovulate, I'm not too bothered by it this time. I'm excited to begin my new journey in this infertile life of mine. Just a few last little notes and I will leave you to ponder your own situation. First, once you start a regimen (whether natural or medicinal) stay with it for AT LEAST three months. This is the time it takes for your body to start really responding and that's the time frame your eggs are affected for. The quality of the egg you release this month, was determined by your body and lifestyle three months ago. Remember that and don't get discouraged. Also, make sure that you read every book about your condition and infertility in general that you can get your hands on. You may only get small bits and pieces of worthwhile information from each one, but every little bit helps. I will recommend books that I have read along the way and if you want to ask me about one feel free. Also, look up Iva Keene and her Natural Fertility Prescription. It is a little pricey, but it has lots of invaluable information in it if you have the extra to spend. I will post my notes on what I felt was important from it later.

I guess that's all I will leave you with for now. Questions and comments are always appreciated. Baby Dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment